My Remi will be three at the end of the month, and lately he’s been showing more, and more interest in cooking, and “helping” in the kitchen. He loves hands-on fun, and messy play. True, it isn’t always easy to find time (or patience) to cook with my littlest chef, but I’ve come to realize that the spills are worth it. Through Remi’s eyes I see the kitchen as the ultimate playground. The perfect place to take the lead, exercise creativity, and explore unfamiliar dishes, flavours, and yes, even green foods!
“Through Remi’s eyes I see the kitchen as the ultimate playground.”
Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day we’ve practiced, and perfected a fun new brunch menu. Our favourite recipe of the bunch has to be Remi’s Green “Critter Fritters.” He loves that they’re fluffy, cheesy, and filled with pops of green pea sweetness. I love that they’re simple to make, and packed with fibre, and protein from feel-good ingredients like eggs, ricotta, hemp hearts, and chickpea flour.
Chickpea flour gluten-free, and boasts 5 g of protein, and 4 g of fibre per 1/4 cup!”
Here’s Remi’s recipe if you’d like to give them a try.
- 3 cups (750 mL) frozen green peas, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1/3 cup (70 mL) ricotta cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) chickpea flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) hemp hearts
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- Steam frozen peas for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Add 1 ½ cups cooked peas, onion, and parsley to food processor, and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer pureed pea mixture to medium mixing bowl. Add eggs, ricotta. Stir to combine.
- Add baking powder, hemp hearts, and chickpea flour. Mix until batter forms.
- Gently fold in remaining steamed peas for texture, and yumminess.
- Heat pan to medium, and lightly coat with oil. Add dollop of batter into pan, and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until fritter is golden, and fluffy.
- Substitute with rolled oats if you don’t have hemp-hearts on-hand.
- Cook fritters in a cast-iron skillet for added iron, and a beautiful golden crust.
- Garnish with extra ricotta, or a poached egg and fresh pea shoots.
Thanks to our friends at Alberta Pulse Growers for supporting GetJoyfull, and for helping to make this recipe, and post possible.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everyone!